Monday, January 16, 2012

Teaching Philosophy

We start learning by instinct; even before we realize we are learning we are already doing so. This means that since the day we are born we are learners. We start teaching once we have learned. In other words, we are more experienced learners than teachers. However, in order to teach we must first understand how each student learns. There are people that learn by reading, others by listening; some people learn by doing things with their hands, others by observing. I believe that, to be successful in teaching we need to teach to small groups of people. We need to learn what type of learners we have in the classroom before we can approach and teach them.
 
My specific objective while teaching a class is for the students to learn the fundamental content of the course. If somebody takes a class in malting and brewing, I expect that by the end of the course that person understands the fundamentals of how malt and beer are produced. However, the core objectives of my teaching go beyond and apply to any topic being taught. My objective is to teach the students a critical thinking, and especially how to effectively find and use information. The teacher can explain the facts in the classroom, but the teacher will not follow the student wherever she/he goes after the course is over; teaching where to find reliable information and how to interpret it is crucial for success in professional life.
 
The student in my class should expect to learn, other than the concepts of the topic being taught, the following principles; they are crucial for a proper learning experience in my classes.

·         To give credit to others when they have earned it.
·         To never make fun of others.
·         To be respectful.
·         To be polite.
·         To be on time.
·         To not alter the truth.
·         To express concisely.
·         To be sure to enjoy what you do.
·         To be dedicated to what you do.
·         To choose the analysis before a hunch.
  
The approach I like to use is to teach the way that students like to learn. I like using technology in my classes, and having interesting presentations with animations and videos. I like my students to feel that they are not in a classroom. I encourage them to discuss the topic between them, and share their point of view. I suggest them to teach others what they have learned. I try to keep the communication the way they communicate now. If you write the homework on the blackboard, only a few will notice it; if you send a text message, or e-mail, most of them will pay attention. Field trips, hands-on demonstrations, and challenging tasks complete a typical course with me. The evaluation of what students learn is assessed by problem-based tests that can be in the form of a presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment